Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Native American view of Chistopher Columbus




When I first read the following quote, I had to re-read it to make sure I was seeing what I was seeing: a positive view of Christopher Columbus by a Native American: "When Columbus came to the Americas, apparently he was very benevolent to the Indians [the Taino)..." (Nabakov, 1999, p.439). This essay by N. Scott Momaday (who is of Kiowa descent), discussed revisiting the celebration/commemoration of Columbus Day and how European Americans and American Indians respectively,view the day and the totality of the Columbian Exchange from 1492 onward. The statement that Columbus was "very benevolent" to the Indians is a rather remarkable one given what Columbus personally did to the Taino as attested to by his own words and the reports made by Friar Bartolome de las Casas. I included the famous depiction of Columbus (see above) because it is so romaticized; additionally, I would say to anyone viewing this to share any opinions that come to mind after what we have learned about that fateful period in history.




Nabokov, P. (1999). Native American testimony: a chronicle of Indian-white relations from prophecy to the present,
1492-2000 (Rev. ed.). New York, N.Y.: Penguin.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Michael,

    What you have touched upon is the diverse views that native peoples have about historical figures. It is important to keep in mind that native peoples exist in a spectrum of perspectives (from traditional-preEuropean to assimilated.) Depending on who you are talking to, you will get a slightly different perspective. If you want to know a bit more about Columbus (real name Cristobal Colon) in American history, you should read this article: http://xroads.virginia.edu/~cap/columbus/col3.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read a few books about him, including Conquest of Paradise and Admiral of the Ocean Sea, not to mention countless articles- I will check this one out as well, thanks. I was just amazed that an American Indian had a positive thing to say about him. After reading Native American Testimony and Introduction to Native North America, I have a better understanding of the wide range of views among the many Nations. This was the first positive comment I came across by a Native American, and what made it even more interesting is the writer of that essay seemed to be the sole minority opinion on the matter. Maybe that, and others like him, can start a cross-cultural dialogue. I myself have very mixed opinions on Columbus and Columbus Day; it's sometimes difficult to separate the academic mentality from the emotional realm when dealing with the unpleasant subjects (i.e. the negative elements of the Columbian Exchange).

    ReplyDelete